Make a Difference / Get Your River License Plate

December 4, 2015 Update:  The “Protecting Rivers and Clean Water” Tennessee Specialty License plates benefiting the Harpeth River Watershed Association have arrived in County Clerks’ offices! 
Original Subscribers may now pick up their plate at their County Clerk's main office:

If you pre-purchased a plate, you should have received a letter in the mail the first week of November from the Tennessee Department of Revenue - Vehicle Services Division, notifying that your plate is ready for pick-up.

  • After you receive your notification letter, you should call your County Clerk’s main office just to confirm that your plate is there waiting for you.

  • TN County Clerk’s address and phone listing:

  • If your vehicle is not due to renew, you can still get your plate now!  You simply need to turn in the existing plate, they will hand you your “Protecting Rivers and Clean Water” plate, and they will adjust your anniversary to the exchange date.  You would be charged the pro-rated payment for moving your anniversary, but your Harpeth River Watershed Association specialty plate’s first year is pre-paid, so there is no other cost.

  • Your HRWA plate will be held for you until your regular renewal date, but if you fail to pick it up within a year it gets destroyed and we do not get the proceeds.  PLEASE DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN!

Not an original subscriber, didn't order enough plates, or have a friend who wants one? You can still get a plate now:
  • Call your County Clerk’s main office and ask if they have Harpeth River Watershed Association plates in stock.  If they do not have any, ask them to place an order for you.  It should only take a few weeks for them to arrive. 

  • TN County Clerk’s address and phone listing:

  • Once confirmed they are in stock, go to your County Clerk’s main office to exchange your existing plate for a Harpeth River Watershed Association specialty license plate.

  • Don’t forget to bring your current Vehicle Registration documents.

  • You will need to pay the regular fees pro-rated for moving your anniversary plus $35 for your Harpeth River Watershed Association specialty plate.
  • If it is time for your annual renewal, you do not need to turn in your expired plate, but you must coordinate through their County Clerk’s main office.

The county clerk’s offices that currently have extra “Protecting Rivers and Clean Water” specialty license plates for you to purchase if you have not already pre-ordered your plate are:

  • Cheatham County Clerk’s office

  • Davidson County Clerk’s office

  • Hamilton County Clerk’s office

  • Robertson County Clerk’s office

  • Wilson County Clerk’s office

The beautiful “Protecting Rivers and Clean Water” specialty plate benefits the Harpeth River Watershed Association’s and revenues generated will support rivers and clean water across the state. 

The very best way to promote the ”Protecting Rivers  and Clean Water” specialty license plate is to get one on your car!

'Tis the Season for Giving! 
Not sure what to gift someone during the holidays this year?
Give them the "Protecting Rivers and Clean Water" specialty license plate! 
Here's how: Visit the Gift-A-Tag website


Calling all proud owners of our new specialty license plate! We want to see you with your new “Protecting Rivers and Clean Water” license plate!

If you are a proud owner of our new “Protecting Rivers and Clean Water” specialty license plate and have already picked up your plate show your love for clean water by taking a photo of you with your new plate and share it using the hashtag ‪#‎GotMyPlate on any of your social media platforms. You could also send your pictures to us directly so that we may be able to post them to our social media sites including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! Please send all photos to Thank you to everyone for your support for this great plate!

Questions: (615) 790-9767 or 

Specialty License Plate FAQ